Romit S. Cheema
Mr. Cheema represents clients in complex real estate transactions, focusing on the disposition, development, leasing, and financing of commercial real estate. He also has represented real estate private equity funds, financial institutions, and developers. He has significant experience in office, retail, hospitality, and multifamily transactions.
Prior to founding PCR, Mr. Cheema served as in-house corporate counsel for a diversified real estate investment firm based in Dallas, Texas, where he coordinated all legal matters including corporate and deal structuring, real estate acquisitions and dispositions, retail and office leasing, financing, development, construction. Mr. Cheema also managed outside counsel for the firm’s subsidiary companies in the hospitality, retail, office, multi-family, land development, medical, and restaurant industries.
Mr. Cheema began his practice in the commercial real estate transactional group at the international law firm of Hunton & Williams representing real estate private equity funds, financial institutions, real estate developers and special servicers.
Mr. Cheema is a member of the Dallas Bar Association, Real Estate Section and is on the advisory board of the US Indian Chamber of Commerce DFW.
Representative Clients and Transactions
- In-house corporate counsel for a commercial real estate investment firm based in Dallas, Texas which has completed over $1.6 billion of acquisitions and development, with a focus on the Southern, Eastern and Midwestern United States
- Represented a special servicer in the non-judicial foreclosure of numerous Texas assets including multifamily, retail and mixed-use properties and subsequent ownership of the properties
- Represented a special servicer in connection with the negotiation and drafting of numerous settlement agreements including a $30,000,000 loan secured by four retail properties in Chapter 11 bankruptcy and guarantor litigation
- Represented a real estate developer in the acquisition, financing and development of a large-scale mixed-use development in the DFW metroplex area
- Represented a real estate developer in connection with the negotiation of numerous retail leases with "big box" tenants and Fortune 500 companies
- Represented Canadian REIT client in portfolio acquisition and financing of eight Walgreens stores
- Represented a global private equity firm in the large scale due diligence and acquisition of various pools of performing, sub and non-performing commercial real estate loans varying in size from $125,000,000 to $3,400,000,000
Southern Methodist Univ. Dedman School of Law, J.D. (cum laude)
- International Law Review Ass'n, Canada Reporter
- Real Estate Law Association, President
University of Texas at Austin, B.A. (Economics)
AWARDS & Affiliations
- D Magazine "Best Lawyers in Dallas" Recipient (Real Estate) (2016 & 2017)
- Dallas Bar Ass'n, Real Estate Section
- Dallas Ass'n of Young Lawyers Leadership Class (2012)
- US Indian Chamber of Commerce DFW – Young Entrepreneurs and Professionals (YEP), Advisory Board
- TREC Young Guns
- Euless Sikh Temple, Advisory Board