Charles N. Nye
Charlie Nye is Of Counsel and a hospitality, real estate and transactional attorney with Platt Cheema Richmond PLLC. He has more than 35 years of experience handling complex commercial real estate and corporate matters, including providing legal advice and support for hundreds of transactions.
Prior to joining PCR, Mr. Nye was in-house corporate counsel for 19 years at FelCor Lodging Trust Incorporated, a publicly traded lodging REIT (now part of RLJ Lodging Trust) where he directed or was substantially involved in all legal aspects of acquisitions, dispositions, financings, construction and development, risk and litigation management, asset management (including energy supply and energy efficiency contracts), operations and management/franchise company issues and relationships. Mr. Nye's work on behalf of FelCor was national in scope and Mr. Nye managed relationships with outside counsel across the United States.
Mr. Nye began his practice in the real estate group at Geary, Stahl & Spencer in 1983 as an associate and continued his practice as a partner at Baskin & Novakov (later Novakov, Davidson & Flynn) until March 1998. He had a broad based real estate practice emphasizing commercial real estate acquisitions, dispositions and leases as well as commercial mortgage loans including problem loan negotiations and foreclosures.
In addition, Mr. Nye has been an active real estate investor for many years. So, in addition to his legal knowledge and experience, Mr. Nye brings practical investment experience and a business perspective to the client who may be an investor, owner, purchaser, seller or lender.
- In-house corporate counsel for a publicly traded lodging REIT based in Irving, Texas which owned hotels across the United States and in Canada.
- The sale of 49 hotels across the United States (including 2 in Canada) consisting of 13,700 rooms and generating gross sales proceeds of over $1.1 billion dollars.
- The sale of the Morgans New York and the Royalton New York hotels in New York City involving, among other things, negotiations with the union regarding termination of the union agreement at Morgans and issues relating to a multiemployer pension plan at Royalton.
- Three ground up beachfront condominium tower development projects (635 units) in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Also new construction of a conference center, laundry facility and a spa and fitness center.
- Various development and construction projects (and dealing with related pre-development land use issues) including hotel room additions, product improvement plan renovations in connection with hotel rebrandings (Marriott Union Square in San Francisco) and post-acquisition renovations (Fairmont Copley Plaza in Boston).
- The acquisition and complete renovation ($250,000,000+) of the Knickerbocker Hotel located in Times Square in NYC. Building was originally a hotel (early 1900s) and then converted to an office building. After being empty for 10 years, a commercial condominium was formed (2 retail units and a hotel unit) and FelCor purchased the hotel unit and converted it from an office building to a 330 room hotel.
- Long term leases with Ruth’s Chris and other food and beverage operators covering space in a hotel and the provision of F&B services throughout the hotel.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Recognized, AV®Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®PEER REVIEW RATINGS™
PUBLICATIONS & EVENTS
- 11.2015 – State Bar of Texas Continuing Legal Education (CLE) article and presentation – “Creating a Hospitable Legal Experience with Your Outside Counsel”, Legal Issues in the Texas Hospitality Industry Course, Dallas, Texas; Co-Authored with Marsha Bonner.
University of Oklahoma School of Law, J.D., 1983
Southern Methodist Univ. B.B.A. Finance, 1979
- Real Estate Council
- Dallas Bar Association, Real Property, Corporate Counsel and Construction Law sections
- State Bar of Texas – Real Estate, Business, Corporate Counsel, Insurance and Construction sections
- American Bar Association – Real Estate, Probate and Property Law section; Business section